Asbestos was previously a popular construction material because it is versatile and can withstand heat. With time, asbestos has been banned in many countries after it was discovered that the fibres can cause asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer. If you live in a home built before the mid 1980’s, you should know that asbestos was used in the construction. Here are some of the top asbestos safety tips you should follow.
• Asbestos can be found anywhere. It was used extensively during construction so you need to be careful when using these products. It includes fibro sheeting, pipes, wall coverings and guttering.
• If you are thinking about renovating your home or doing any type of work on it, you should always be cautious because asbestos could have been used during the construction process.
• If there is asbestos present in your home, you should not make it a DIY project. Note that, if the asbestos present is disturbed, you are likely going to compromise the health of all the people in your household.
• If you are unsure of the presence of asbestos in your home, don’t touch anything. Alternatively, you should contact asbestos removal professionals. First, they will confirm that it’s actually present in your home before actually doing anything.
• If there is any asbestos present in your home, you can manage it accordingly. However, don’t overlook it because it’s a serious concern. Asbestos removal experts can help you to contain it effortlessly. They can also choose to remove it to make sure it doesn’t affect anyone else in your home.
• Note that, you don’t necessarily have to remove the asbestos present in your home. If you choose to follow this option, make sure the asbestos is not disturbed so that it is stable. That way, the fibres are not released. Touching it would disturb the fibres causing a lot of problems. You should leave the work to professionals who are qualified to handle it. That’s because they understand the legal requirements concerning removal and asbestos disposal.
• You might assume that hiring a professional asbestos removal expert will be costly. However, it’s actually very affordable. It’s much better to pay for this rather than putting your family in danger because of the asbestos fibres.
Note that, there are legal and safety requirements that should be followed when handling or managing asbestos. For instance, you should wear the appropriate safety gear and dispose of the asbestos material safely for the best results.